Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A little bit of everything

As you can tell from my previous posts...we are LOVING this new crazy life that we have. It was such a blessing in disguise. I remember just under two months ago when Tyler told me his first job was in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and we would be moving in less than a month. Immediate tears and immediate fears! However, I never imagined just six weeks ago that we would be so happy here as we are now. (I think it helps that it's a high of 70 degrees everyday...perfection). But more than the weather, we get to experience a new way of life, a new city, a new marriage, and new people. This is something we wouldn't have got to do unless we had taken this chance the Lord presented. It is so true the advice people gave when I told them I was moving away right after getting married. They said, "You will learn to depend on each other more than ever." I never knew how true this statement was until I experience it everyday! Marriage is such an eye opening experience and the biggest blessing I could ever imagine.

Without getting all sappy, I love it here. We miss our family and friends...BAD. But it is so fun when they get to visit us and we get to play tour guides for the weekend.

This weekend Tyler's Grandparents came for a visit while passing through on their journey across the country! We had agreat time showing them around. Friday night of course we went down to Downtown Waukesha and ate at the infamous Taylor's People's Park on the rooftop.
 We actually discovered there is straight view from our apartments from where we were sitting.
 Sadly, this same night...Ty's phone was stolen after being left on the table at this ice cream parlor. But there are worse things to happen! Just put a little damper on the night.
The next day...the boys went golfing and Kay and I walked down to the farmer's market and antique shops. I came back with fresh cheese curds and this little gem!
 We also bought a dresser at the same antique shop! Wooo hooo now we have a place to put all our clothes. Pictures to come soon enough :)

On Sunday, we drove into downtown Milwaukee and and ate on the Riverwalk. We also explored Third Ward a little more. I think I have decided it is one of my favorite places here. Anthropologie and The Home Market!! Almost like heaven.



No worries...Tyler got his haircut the very next day after seeing this picture.
All in all...we had a great time with our second visitors! We had a super fun week with new friends as well. I threw my first dinner party! Which I loved every minute of. I have dreamed of cooking and entertaining for friends for years in our first new home!


Dont mind the TV in the background...


Somehow it came up that Tyler brought his N64 up here with Mario Kart....look at the happiness on his face
All in all a fun and successful night!

And of course I have to leave you with something new I attempted this week...Deep Fried Cheese Curds. If you were not born in a hole underground in Wisconsin...then you eat these at least once a week. The best one's we have had up here were from the fair. You just don't get much better than greasy, deep fried cheese. But they are so much different than cheese sticks because the cheese doesn't really melt inside. And a curd is a little thicker than regular cheese if you've never had it.

But I will stop bragging about cheese curds since I am now a cheese head. I found these declicious fresh cheese ccurds at the farmers market and immediately needed a batter to deep fry them. I came up with this one...
WARNING: Your home will smell like a fair while frying...

Fried Cheese Curds

Ingredients:
Vegetable oil (for frying)
1 egg beaten
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup milk (or I heard beer could be used)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder

1 (9-ounce) package fresh cheese curds, room temperature (Make sure they are room temperature or they are still cold with a hot crusty, crust)
* Use enough vegetable oil to completely cover cheese curds while frying.

Directions:
In a deep fryer or large pot, heat vegetable oil (375 degrees to 385 degrees F).
In a medium bowl, combine egg, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, and milk or beer until well blended. Add flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder; mix until smooth. Drop cheese curds in batter. Using a spoon, turn cheese curds to coat thoroughly.
A few at a time, drop the coated curds into the hot oil; fry approximately 1 minute or until brown and puffed, turning to coat all sides (do not overcook, or the cheese curds will begin to melt and ooze through the coating. Remove from hot oil and drain on paper towels. Allow fried cheese curds to cool a couple of minutes before eating.
I top them with freshly grated parmesan cheese and serve with a side of marinara!


Enjoy!

No comments:

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS