Monday, July 30, 2012

A married weekend

Tyler finally came home from Pittsburgh so we could get back to being a newly-married-couple-who-just-moved-across-the-country-together again! I could not have been happier. I even last minute altered our 'Love is Sweet' banner from our wedding to a 'Welcome Home' banner. I hurriedly hung it up (temporarily). They had the same amount of letters! I must say I spent much more time stenciling and painting it for the wedding, instead of a purple sharpie I came across for this occasion.
 I decided to start making my pictures bigger. Let me know if anyone objects.

As excited as I was to see Tyler and end my week of seeing zero people I know in this state...I believe Tyler was just as excited to see...the olympics. I can honestly say that his eyes never leave the TV when any olympic sporting event is on. I knew this was coming however...so I made an Olympic breakfast for champions for his return. I must say he enjoyed it just as much as the Olympics!
Don't mind the boxes around us...


This breakfast was fun to make. However, I had all week to plan it. Don't expect it to be a daily thing...
I started with Paula Deen's French Toast Casserole. I actually made everything the night before and cooked it the next morning! I would suggest this for a lazy Saturday morning.
Paula Deen's Baked French Toast with Maple Syrup
Ingredients
  • 1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
  • 8 large eggs
  • 2 cups half-and-half
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Dash salt
  • Praline Topping, recipe follows
  • Maple syrup
Directions
Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs. Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Praline Topping:
  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. 
This was our very favorite! Tyler said it may be his favorite breakfast food all time. I don't even liked pecans and I was eating them plain it was so good.


Hashbrown Casserole

Tastes pretty dang close to Cracker Barrel.
  • 2 lbs frozen hash browns 
  • 1/2 cup margarine or 1/2 cup butter, melted 
  • 1 (10 1/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup 
  • 1 pint sour cream 
  • 1/2 cup onion, peeled and chopped 
  • 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (I used Wisconsin Medium Sharp)
  • 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 11 x 14 baking dish with cooking spray. 
Mix the above ingredients together, place in prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until brown on top.
*I also cut this recipe in half to make this portion, it still made about 6 servings

And I always have peanut butter fudge on Christmas morning...and the Olympics are almost as exciting as Christmas.

Peanut Butter Fudge
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions

  1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and milk. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes once boiling, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter and vanilla. Beat in powdered sugar with an electric mixer. Beat until smooth; pour into an 8x8 inch dish and press firmly. Chill until firm and cut into squares. 
Wish I could say that we took a long run after this meal...but we did not. The only thing we ran were errands. A lot of them. But it is fun getting your home all ready to live in! Our next adventure: my mom and Landon come to see us on Wednesday! I CANNOT WAIT.




2 comments:

Bevelene Wallen said...

Sounds like you are having a blast being married

kacey said...

I have to admit I am! Hope all is well at the preschool. I miss you all!

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS